Wednesday, August 14, 2013

General musings

I've been in Chile long enough to get into a rhythm.  I'm a pro on the subway.  Have my own Bip card (pronounced Beep) so I don't have to buy a ticket every time.  Classes start Monday at the University of Chile, so there is much to do in preparation.  Classes were supposed to start July 29, but the students went on strike.  A similar strike occurred a couple years ago, but this strike was less disruptive is perhaps the best way to put it.  One of the main points of the strike was the sense by the students that higher education costs too much.  However, it was deeper than that as Santiago - and Chile for that matter - is quite stratified.  There is a distinct class structure and a sense that you can't move up in class - or at least move up to the upper class.  One of the local websites went as far to say that Santiago is one of the most unequal cities in the world.  That is apparent anywhere you travel in Santiago, and it played a significant role in my choice of where to live.  On the surface that sounds a bit harsh or even scary, but if you think about it the same holds true in large cities in the United States.  I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable living in south Chicago.

I've been fortunate enough to visit many interesting places in the world.  The stark differences between places like Tokyo and Tijuana. The social differences between Amsterdam and, well, pretty much anywhere.  The fascinating architecture of places like the Cologne (Koln) Cathedral.  Man at his worst at places like Normandy. Chile has an interesting history as well.  click here. We are coming up on the 40th anniversary of the Pinochet coup, the end of which (if you can call it that) is but a few years past and still on everyone's mind.  The current presidential election is primarily between two women that grew up as playmates.  Both of their father's were generals, with one being on the side of Pinochet and one being persecuted by the regime.  The one girl's father was actually in charge of what was done to the other girl's father, though there is debate if he had a direct role or knowledge.  There was a fascinating article on the subject recently that was widely circulated.  click here

One of the reasons that I chose to come to Chile is that it is a friendly, safe, and stable place with a strong economy.  In terms of the power of the dollar, things are more expensive in Santiago than the US.  Not quite as high as The Netherlands or Germany, but far more expensive than things were in a recent visit to Hungary. A Big Mac is $4.  Gasoline is about twice the price in the States.  A liter of fruit juice is 1100 pesos, which is a little over $2 in a grocery store, but a 350 ml glass of water (sin gas....tap water) is about $3. A liter box of milk is nearly the same price as a gallon in the US. You don't have to pay 50 cents to use the rest room (water closet) like you do in much of Europe.  A modest but nice dinner for two at a restaurant is about $40.  A standard tip is 10%.  Give 12% and you are a big tipper.  Clothes seem to be quite high to me, but I'm not a clothes shopper so maybe I don't understand brands and such.

It is interesting to compare different countries in terms of what is unique and what is the same. The most common things from the US at a grocery store?  Wisconsin cheese seems to be everywhere.  Quaker cereal.  Things that throw you for a loop at the grocery store?  Each produce item you bag up and then go to a station and have it weighed and tagged before you go to the checkout.  Checkout clerks sit in a chair.  You put your passport number on all receipts...or any number, they never check.  If you want to order tickets to a soccer game online or do pretty much anything "official" you need a RUT card.  This is kind of a social security card that is used similar to a driver's license as an ID card.  I am still trying to get a grip on what is needed to obtain a RUT card and maybe I'll put up a post if I every successfully finish the process (with any luck, tomorrow).

Strikes are common.  First it was the students, then the garbage collectors, and this week the post office. Speaking of post office, I still haven't figured out what one looks like or where one is at. Maybe that is why they are striking?  Make sure people know the post offices actually exist?  I have a line on a possible place - maybe another blog adventure as well. (don't mail me anything as it will never reach me now)

I've mentioned in a previous post that people in Chile are not particularly tall, are quiet and respectful, and quite helpful if you can get past the language/culture aspects.  I have visited several organizations during my stay and have been treated very nicely. Today was a landmark as I saw my first tattoo: on a girl with reddish pink hair - which may also have been a first.  Nearly everyone has dark brown or black hair with brown eyes.  Now it is August, which is winter, but today was 72 degrees (warmest day so far).  People here tend to dress like they are going out in the middle of winter in Michigan, so perhaps tattoos will be more evident as the coats begin to disappear. I haven't seen shorts other than on people riding bikes or running. Ike would stick out like Santa Claus...6 feet tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, and wearing shorts.

Next week the Fulbright organization is taking us to visit a winery, which will be interesting to compare to the wineries in Northern Michigan.  I've only had one beer so far and I liked it:  Cristal.  They sell beer in the large grocery stores like Jumbo, but I haven't notice a single "party store" that sells alcohol.  I went out to eat with a group of detectives and they wondered if I wanted wine with lunch or coffee after.  No, how about a glass of leche frío.  They started laughing.  Nobody had ever ordered a glass of cold milk after eating dinner.  I guess for one reason or another they will never forget me.

That's about all I can think of for now.  I'm expecting the start of classes on Monday to give me some rich blog material.  Be well!

end of post

No comments:

Post a Comment