Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Eating and Shopping and Eating

I've finally remembered my camera enough times to put together a post that presents food and some shopping.  I'm not a big shopper, but a big eater - so this will be a post slanted toward eating.  One of the quick things to find on the street is an empanada.  In this instance, the dough tastes kind of like a soft pretzel.



La siguiente es el carne, arroz y fritas en un plato de restaurante circa de Bellevista y Del Arz.  We've eaten here three times as it is close to home and very good food.  The people that run it are very friendly and don't speak a word of English.  In many places in Santiago there is little or no heat, and one night at this particular place even I (from Northern Michigan with antifreeze for blood) wore a coat while eating.



I've never had a cup of coffee, but this place you make your own should you choose...



...and sugar often takes this form.



It's costs about 1,500 pesos ($3 USD) for agua sin gas (water without bubbles).



Being from Michigan, where we are fortunate enough to have the largest concentration of fresh water in the world, I have a hard time paying for water.  So I've become fond of these red fruit juice drinks (jugo frambueza).  Good raspberry flavor.  My experience is that the mango juice is too thick.



The interesting thing about Santiago is that you generally get the electronic receipt, but for good measure you get a hand written one as well.  Fascinating system.


Now about shopping.  We have found two large shopping malls.  The first we took a subway to the Escuela Militar stop.  Yes, that is where the military school is.



We walked to Avenue John Kennedy, and on to the mall.



It was a large mall but not some place I'd go back to without a strong reason.  We ate at the food court and had the only meal so far that was not good.  Guess that is something in common with food courts around the world.  We found the second mall at the end of Av. Providencia somewhat the hard way.  It is quite a bit closer to the apartment (2 mile walk) and has a Jumbo grocery store in it, four floors of stores, one floor of restaurants, and the top floor is a multi-screen cinema.



At Jumbo you can get a box of milk for 619 pesos.  I still haven't found the best way to open them, so I just stab them with a knife and pour.  The Midwest is a big dairy area and I'm used to multiple glasses of milk at every meal and a chocolate milk shake for a night time snack.  (Hudsonville chocolate ice cream, a banana, and 2% milk mixed up in a mixing bowl).  A box of milk has been an adjustment.



We did find these tortilla chips to be quite good...



Tonight I got a picture of what dinner was at home.  My wife is a great cook and I know I'm losing weight here...
Grilled salmon on a bed of quinoa with sautéed vegetables.

end of post.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried any of the beers? Wines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way to open the milk is to pull up one of the flaps on the side and cut off a triangular piece, but not too long.

    ReplyDelete