Thursday, October 10, 2013

Answering a few quesions

I've had a few people ask me questions about Chile, so it is time to get some answers out there.  The first has to do with how the small tiendas (stores) are run.  You pay for your purchase and usually get an electronic receipt from the cash register and then you also get a hand written receipt.  My understanding is the hand written receipt trumps the electronic receipt.  They are always the same, so I guess it is one of those unexplainable Chileanismos as to why they are both generated.  Now I say usually you get an electronic receipt and a hand written receipt.  Not all of the tiendas have electronic cash registers. (click the picture to zoom)


As unbelievable as it sounds, the cash register in this store is that red carton with the blue cardboard sticking out of it.  The money is just tossed into the pile and you get a hand written receipt only.  The calculator is to add the items up, but the cash is in the open not three feet from every customer.  The entrance is like a garage door that you pull down, so there really isn't a true door either.  You could take two steps in, grab the box, and dash with the cash.

The next interesting thing is that many of the places a ways from downtown Santiago have some sort of sun screen for the cars.  This is a desert climate and it can be 90 degrees plus (32 C) for weeks on end.


I saw a Linder (Walmart) that had a large parking lot with metal sun screens throughout the parking lot.

Of course running is still on my mind and I'm trying every trick in the book to get my hamstrings in order for one last run up Cerro San Cristobal before it is time to grab a jet.  I haven't given up hope, but I know I'm at least a week out from being able to run. However, I did go and watch the run that I was supposed to participate in last Sunday (domingo pasado).  Since my brother is running the Chicago Marathon this weekend, I thought I'd show him what last place looks like since he always seems to be in front. (click to zoom)


The thing I want him to dwell on is all the poor souls stuck behind the police and ambulance vehicles.  If the people in front would run slower, the difference between first and last would be less and the people stuck behind the safety vehicles wouldn't have to wait as long.

There was also a breast cancer run (the cancer of moms) that took place about a half kilometer from our casa.  So after watching the run I was supposed to run in I went over and watched the other run.  (yes, put a fork in me).


This is to confirm that yes, they like to do Zoomba as part of the runs.

Now, Johnny Quest asked what the best beer is that I've had in Chile.  I prefer dark beer as it tends to be smoother and has a much fuller taste.  There are two finalists in this.

I am a big fan of Kross Stout, and I think they have a pretty cool logo - so much so that I bought one of their mugs, which is currently my only souvenir from Chile besides my pulersa de cobre (copper bracelet that I haven't taken off since purchasing it in July - and it clearly doesn't work on hamstrings!).

The beer that has probably been the best is Bock Damm, which is a Munich beer "distinguished by its intense toasted flavor, slightly sweet final touch, and is an equilibrated beer without the bitter aftertaste of other beers in its class."  Now equilibrated is a 50 cent word that means it has a balanced taste. There are two things that disqualified it from being the best beer in Chile.  The first is that it is a Munich beer, and even though Chile has had quite a relationship with Germany since WWII, it still isn't a Chilean beer. To further complicate this, it is really a Spanish beer.  So you think it as German when it is really Spanish - confusing. Not sure what is up with the goat either. The second thing is that look at how small the bottle is in my hand.  It's gone before you know it. Probably good it is in a small bottle though as it is pretty potent.  So, depending on the day and circumstance, perhaps the second thing should be disqualified from my disqualification list.  Gosh I hope that I can find this in Michigan.


Another question to answer is do people really sell things at the intersections of busy roads.  In previous posts I showed pictures and a video of the jugglers.  The guy in the white shirt and dark apron has a tray of toasted almonds or something.  I've seen empanadas and other things for sale as well.


So there you have it, the answers to all of your questions!

end of post

1 comment:

  1. I shall endeavor to find us some Kross Stout and Bock Damm here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete