Sunday, July 28, 2013

First impressions from the streets of Santiago

We have spent quite a bit of time walking around Santiago trying to find simple things like a grocery store and a place to get other common items.  Today is the day we are going to find theses places.  Here is what it looks like out our living room window - the Andes are in the background with snow on them.  We can look through the trees because it is winter - though only about the 33rd parallel, which is about the same as Atlanta Georgia in the Northern Hemisphere.  (click picture to zoom)




Yes, we have a piscina (swimming pool...Seth's favorite Spanish word), but it isn't open.  Note there are palm trees as well and similar to Europe, the cars parking places often have grass under the car and a paved footpath.  Temps are around upper 50's/low 60's.  Daylight about 7am and dark shortly after 6pm.


Another reminder of Europe is the graffiti. Not as prevalent, but still common.  This is in the spillway for the river (Río Mapocho) for runoff from the Andes.




Perhaps a simple way to remember you are in Latin America rather than Europe would be the dogs.  They are pretty much on every block downtown, and in housing areas people let them bark constantly.  I'm sure the woman that helped me find an apartment laughed when I wrote her 1) no smoking and 2) no barking dogs.



Speaking of dogs, time to try one of Santiago's most famous dishes - a hot dog.  This one is piled high with mayo, French cut green beens, and tomatoes.





Yes, French cut green beans.



Come on now, of course I found the ice cream!




Downtown Santiago (Providencia) is much like any other big city, though the Andes are always winking at you.  By the way - not much in the way of McDonalds, Burger King, or KFC.  Subway seems to fit in though.


There are a few things that kind of caught my attention while walking and riding the subway.  First of all, the people are quite reserved - no flamboyant antics and "look at me" attractions such as outrageous dress. I'm not sure I've seen a tattoo since I've been here. The most common colors of clothes seem to be black, navy, grey, and brown (but of course it is winter) - and people like to wear jeans. Another is that I feel tall again.  Spending a fair amount of time in the Netherlands, which is the world's tallest country, kind of made 6'1" feel pretty average.  On the subway the other day, looking as far as I could see (about 3 cars each direction) there was nobody as tall as I am.  Not unlike my experiences in Japan several years ago.  The third thing that stuck out is that there are no blondes - at least no natural blondes.  Erin was the only one for three days, and then we were quite sure the other blonde dyed her hair. We've yet to see another set of blue eyes. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a black person yet either.  The fourth thing that caught my attention was how polite people are.  Very similar to my experiences in The Netherlands.  People go out of their way to help.  Santiago itself kind of reminds me of Brussels in looks and layout for some reason, but not in persona.  Clearly, though, hardly anyone seems to speak English and they changed the Spanish language here.  Dropped lots of the "s" endings, which are a pretty important part of Spanish grammar - at least they help me figure out what people are saying.  Here, it feels like a whole new ballgame.  Erin has seemed to adapt easily though.





We came across a street market where people sell hats and sweaters they make.  Mittens and leg warmers were about $4, jackets and sweaters $15 - 20 (asking price).





I'm not sure what ganjah translates into in Chile, but I do in Jamaica....Bob Marley.



There are lots of little parks scattered within the city and many of them have exercise equipment as part of that.  Perhaps we need the same in the States.  I already had the Brussels thing in my mind when we came upon the mini "Atomium" on the left (the grey bar structure).





One last thing - this is the large hill/mini mountain I mentioned during my run post.  There is a 22 meter statue of the Virgin Mary at the top of San Cristóbal hill, which is about 300 meters tall.  San Critóbal refers to the family that used to have a limestone mine on the south side.  The zoo is on southern side of the hill.  One of these days I'll run to the top and take some pictures for a post, but it is a long way there and back.



end of post


No comments:

Post a Comment